Meatballs with Cherry Tomato Sauce
A perfect Dessert With Some Meat Can Make Your Day And This Is It.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
- 1 Pound ground beef sirloin
- 1 Pound ground pork
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 Cup panko bread crumbs, divided
- 1 Cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Cup torn fresh basil
- 1/2 Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 Cup pine nuts
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 Cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Pound cherry tomatoes halved
- 14 Ounce canned crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 8 Ounce fresh mozzarella, sliced
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
MAKE THE MEATBALLS: In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, milk, eggs and ½ cup of the panko; set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the parsley, basil, Parmesan, pine nuts, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepperpepper flakes and ¼ cup of the olive oil. Process until the herbs are finely chopped, about 45 seconds.
Add the herb mixture to the meat mixture and mix until the ingredients are incorporated. Shape into large balls that are bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a tennis ball; you should end up with about 18 total. Roll them in the remaining 1 cup panko.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until crispy all over, about 8 minutes total. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and wipe down the skillet.
MAKE THE CHERRY TOMATO SAUCE: In the same skillet, melt the butter with the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook until they start to fall apart, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and simmer until reduced slightly, about 10 minutes.
FOR SERVING: Pour the tomato mixture over the meatballs and top with the mozzarella. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 25 to 30 minutes. Garnish with basil, drizzle with basil vinaigrette or pesto, and serve over pasta or with a side of polenta.
Cherry Tomato Sauce