- What Is A Salmon Wellington?
What Is A Salmon Wellington?
Salmon wellington is a British cuisine where a salmon fillet is covered with precooked spinach & cheese mixture and then wrapped with puff pastry then baked in the oven until it turns golden brown. Fresh dill and Parmesan cheese is a recommended ingredient in this dish. Before baking the pastry is egg washed properly.
The dish is high in calories so this is a really good choice to consume a good amount of calories if you are looking forward to gaining weight and improve muscle.
Why Does This Recipe Work?
Just like beef wellington salmon wellington is also a British puff pastry dish that is easier to cook than any other salmon dish that you eat in a fancy restaurant and it tastes just as good as those expansive dishes. Why should you bother going to the restaurant or ordering frozen, cold, and obviously not fresh at all and spending that much money on a dish that can be made in your home so easily?
It’s so easy that even a caveman can do it(no disrespect to them though). For a perfect salmon wellington, you can buy those puff pastry sheets or you can make your own at home. Well if you are looking for an easy way I prefer the ready-made one, it really does the job.
An Easy Guide To Cooking The Perfect Salmon Wellington
For this salmon wellington first, we are gonna saute 1 tbsp garlic in olive oil then add 1 medium-sized chopped onion. Saute until the onion gets semi-transparent. Then add spinach, a little salt, crushed peppercorns, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese. Mix them well and take them on a plate. Put the salmon on a plate and season it with salt, paper, lemon juice, dill. Rub the salmon well and set aside for 10 minutes.
Take the puff pastry and roll it into a 1/2 inch thick sheet. Put the spinach mixture in the middle in the shape of the salmon and put the salmon onto the mixture. Brush the whole thing with beaten eggs. Don’t overflow with egg or it won’t fold properly. Now cover the fish with pastry properly. Seal the dough properly. Brush the wellington with beaten egg. Get some light cuts on the top for decoration. Don’t cut too deep or it won’t cook properly.
Preheat the oven at 365° F/ 180° C.Put the salmon wellington in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until it turns brown. Take it out after proper cooking and rest it for around 10 minutes so that the salmon can redistribute the juices of its flesh.
Serve and enjoy.
Preparing The Pastry Dough
Beef or salmon wellington no matter which wellington you are wishing to cook you gotta make sure the dough is perfect to cook. It is really important when it comes to baking the pastry and you want to keep it all together, crunchy on the outside soft in the outside. For the solid looking and tasting salmon wellington, we are gonna share the recipe to prepare a perfect dough that will make your wellington and your day both perfect.
With only 4 ingredients we are gonna make this puff pastry dough. It’s a little bit longer process so you gotta be patient. Patience has its reward.
- 2 & 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/3 cup of cold water
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter
Steps To Make This Dish Perfect
1. Add salt with the flour and mix.
2. Add water slowly and make the dough.
3. Take a wax paper and put the dough in the middle. Fold the paper into 7 by 7-inch square and roll the dough until it covers the wax paper in every corner. So that the dough also turns into a 7 by 7-inch square.
4. Put the dough in the refrigerator.
5. Take the butter, sprinkle flour and beat it until it turns into a dough.
6. Take the butter dough and wrap it with wax paper and fold the wax paper into 4 by 4-inch square. Now roll the dough just like the flour dough and turn it into a 4 by 4-inch dough. Refrigerate.
7. Take out the dough and place the butter dough on the flour dough diagonally. Now fold the corners and pack the dough. Make sure no air stays in.8. Roll your dough into a rectangular shape of 12-inch long 6-inch wide.
9. Fold the top part of the rectangular 1/3 rd of the way down and then the bottom 3rd up and over to overlap the top fold creating a letter shape.
10. Now roll the dough into a 12 inch long and 6-inch wide rectangular shape again and fold it just like step 9. That’s 2 rolls. Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and rest on the fridge for 30 minutes.
11. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll back into a 12-inch long 6-inch wide rectangular shape and repeat the step 9 and 10.
12. Repeat step 11 and then take out the dough.
13.After resting the dough in the room temperature for about 1 hour or overnight roll it into any shape and use it for any baking or pastry stuff.
Can You Store Salmon Wellington In The Fridge?
You can store your uncooked salmon wellington in the freezer by wrapping it with plastic wrap. It will remain in its best quality for about 2-3 months. After 2/3 months it will gradually start to lose its quality. Be sure to turn the temperature to 0° F.
And then whenever you wanna cook it just get it out and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
What Are The Benefits Of Health If We Eat Salmon Wellington?
This salmon wellington can provide you with around 4300 calories which are a really good dish for people who are looking forward to gaining weight. It also provides 270 g of carbohydrate,250 g fat and 150 g protein.1/4th of the salmon wellington will provide you with the daily limit of a low carb diet. And the whole wellington will provide you with the daily limit of a high carb diet.
This wellington contains butter, flour and a good amount of salmon that can provide with a lot of goodness to your body. Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. An analysis of 16 controlled studies found that taking 0.45–4.5 grams of omega-3 fatty acids per day led to significant improvements in arterial function. So it reduces heart disease.
Who Must Avoid This Dish?
Although salmon wellington provides you with a lot of calories, protein, carbs it becomes a big deal for people with over-weight or weight over healthy limits. As it contains around 250 g fat it will make things worse if it is consumed over the limit by people with overweight. Also, 4300 calories are without a doubt a big no for fluffy people.
But, by consuming in a limit and keeping a healthy routine you can enjoy any type of dish you like. The key is to burn calories and not to consume too much of it.